I’m excited to share a homemade playdough recipe with you!
This homemade playdough recipe is super easy, and only uses 5 ingredients (one of which is water).
It’s super frugal to make at home, too. It’s made with simple ingredients you probably have in your kitchen anyway, so it shouldn’t cost you much of anything. It doesn’t take long to mix, and any food coloring will work (which helps make more use out of that food coloring you probably just bought for holiday cookies!).
If the kids are bored, they can have fun both making and playing with this, making tons of fun creations year-round.
Homemade Playdough Recipe
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
- 1 Cup Flour
- ½ Cup Salt
- ½ Cup Water
- 2 tsp Vegetable Oil (any oil is fine to use)
- ½ tsp Food Coloring (gel colors are best for a brighter look)
Mix together the salt and flour in a mixing bowl.
Add the food coloring to the water and mix them well.
(Why add the water now? Mixing the food coloring in the water helps to really even the color out in the dough. It really speeds the process up. If not, kneading time will take about four times as long. This makes a more even color tone as well.)
Then add the colored mixture to the flour mixture, along with the oil.
Stir together the ingredients. It’s best to use your hands if you can! (Kids love this part!)
Keep mixing, folding, and kneading the dough until it reaches playdough consistency. Note: If the dough feels a little tacky, just sprinkle on a tsp more flour until the desired consistency is reached.
Make a few more colors, and enjoy!
A great place to store this dough is in ziplock baggies or containers with airtight lids. If stored correctly, this playdough can last a long time.
In my experience, after storing it for the first night, it needed a little more flour as it seemed to get tackier, but was perfect after that.
Print recipe here
Homemade Playdough Recipe
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp vegetable oil any oil can be used
- 1/2 tsp food coloring gel colors look best
- Mix together the salt and flour in a mixing bowl.
- Add the food coloring to the water and mix them well.
- Then add the colored mixture to the flour mixture, along with the oil.
- Stir together the ingredients. It's best to use your hands if you can!
- Keep mixing, folding, and kneading the dough until it reaches playdough consistency.
- Make a few more colors, and enjoy!
Save or pin for later!
Want more fun for the kids at home?
Check out my guide, written by my daughter: 100 Things for Kids to Do at Home When Bored