Twin Cities Area County Fairs and the Minnesota State Fair!
SUMMER 2022 LIST
Fairs are back!
Note that the larger fairs will have an admission price, and the smaller fairs will be free. Note that this information is based on each fair’s website at the time of posting and may change.
(See bottom of list for my tips on having a great time with kids!)
Hennepin County Fair: June 17-20
19101 County Road 10, Hamel, MN 55340.
Ramsey County Fair: July 14-17.
Held in Maplewood. 2020 White Bear Avenue, Maplewood, MN 55109.
Free admission! Free parking!
Chisago County Fair: July 21-24.
Held in Rush City, about an hour north of Minneapolis.
Rice County Fair: (Held in July)
Held in Faribault, about an hour south of Minneapolis.
In previous years: Free admission. $5 daily parking (in previous years). Passport to Fun deal = $45 for unlimited rides for the entire fair.
St. Croix County Fair, Wisconsin: July 20-24.
Held in Glenwood City, WI.
Anoka County Fair: July 26-31.
Held in Anoka.
Previous years it was $9 for age 13 & older, $4 for ages 7-12, FREE for ages 6 & under. Includes Grandstand shows and parking.
Scott County Fair: July 27-31.
Held in Jordan, southwest of the Twin Cities.
No admission fee but parking is $10 per vehicle (regardless of how many people – great excuse to carpool!). Separate costs for Grandstand admission and carnival rides.
Washington County Fair: August 3-7.
Held in Stillwater. Daily admission is $7.00 for adults, $4.00 for ages 6-15 years, FREE for ages 5 & under. Cash/check only at gates. Season passes also available in advance. Free parking.
Dakota County Fair: August 8-14.
Held in Farmington, about 45 minutes south of Minneapolis.
Previous years – Pay both entrance and parking fees: $5.00 for adults, $2.00 ages 6 – 12, $2.00 senior ages 60+, children 5 & under FREE. ALSO $5.00 daily parking. (We’ve been to this one and had a blast.)
Goodhue County Fair: August 9-13
Held in Zumbrota, 90 minutes SE of Minneapolis. Daily Admission $7, Season Gate Pass $15, and under 12 years FREE.
Carver County Fair:
August 11-15. Not yet updated for 2022
Held in Waconia. $8.00 for ages 7 through adult, FREE for ages 6 & under. FREE for all on Sunday after 6pm. Special days for military and senior citizens. Grandstand Season passes available.
Minnesota State Fair! August 25 – Labor Day, September 5.
Held at the State Fairgrounds in St. Paul.
Admission prices are $17 for 2022. But you can get $14 tickets in advance.
History of Minnesota State Fair pricing: Admission went up $1.00 per person in 2019 and in 2017. Prices were $15 adults, $13 seniors (65 & over) and kids (5-12). Children under 5: free! Pre-fair discount admission tickets were $12 for all ages and can be purchased online or at Cub later in the summer (we’ve gotten ours at Cub. See their website for more locations and for more ways to save $$.).
Tips for fair-going with kids
1. Bring lots of ICE water! Expect hot temps and lots of sweating. (I should have brought a cold towel to wipe up my hubby’s sweat at the Ramsey County Fair last year!) If you don’t bring water, expect to pay at least $1.00 per water bottle.
2. Bring cash for: rides (typically $1.00 per ticket, where a standard ride is 3-5 tickets), food (I spent $8.00 on lemonade alone, even though I had water, too), games (if you can’t resist), souvenirs, etc.
3. Bring the cameras!
4. If it’s a hot day, try to plan your visit for early morning or late afternoon. Though many activities and shows take place in the middle of the day, you can still have plenty of fun earlier or later. If you do go in the middle of the day (like we did), take plenty of breaks under sheltered areas like tents or buildings.
5. Bring something to use as a personal fan. There was a church that gave out thick paper glued to popsicle sticks that were to used as personal fans, which we did! That was a great idea. Before you go, maybe involve the kids in making “fans” like this to bring along to help keep cool.
6. Bring baby wipes or wet wipes. Your children will be touching a lot of animals. Trust me!
Hope you have fun! -Lisa
For more summer fun, check out my other summer guide and freebies!
BONUS: Download my NEW,
FREE Printable Summer Activity Planner for Kids!
There are 8 pages of summer planning fun:
- Summer Bucket List (32 ideas for summer fun!)
- Summer Schedules with themes and ideas
- “10 Things I Want to Do this Summer” Worksheet
- 3 Coloring Pages
Print whatever pages you want!
To get this FREE Printable Summer Activity Planner for Kids, be sure you’re signed up for my FREE weekly email!
You’ll get the links to the FREE printables INSTANTLY, and you will be subscribed to my weekly email newsletter which so you can get MORE freebies, deals and fun! Your information will not be shared with anyone and you can unsubscribe anytime.
Get this FREEBIE INSTANTLY by signing up here!
(If you’re already on my email list, check your inbox!!!!)
Note: If you have any issues with accessing your free printables, email me at email@example.com.