I previously wrote a list of 5 reasons to pick up the free food from your child’s school district. The response was huge – much bigger than I expected!
I’m glad it was shared and discussed so extensively (23,000 times!), so that families could benefit from and support this wonderful program for all during this difficult time!
Here are the 5 reasons, at a glance:
- In many districts, the food is free to all kids 18 and under, no questions asked.
- For many districts, when the food is not picked up, the school district may receive less funding, which can lead to not being able to offer as much food, as well as employee layoffs.
- It can save the food from turning to waste.
- It’s comforting to kids to have familiar foods from their school.
- It saves you some stress of feeding your kids, as most of the food is ready-to-eat.
(You can read the full article here.)
We have consistently picked up the free food from our school’s district since shortly after it began. It has done so much for our family, and has lit up my kids’ days as they enjoy familiar foods from their school lunches.
But when I wrote my original post, I didn’t include an important part.