A few months ago I bought a used, refurbished Lenovo laptop at Device Pitstop of Maple Grove for only $200. I had been needing one for a while and Device Pitstop had a great variety of refurbished laptops from $99 and up. And since I had purchased a desktop computer refurbished a couple of years ago and it’s been working great, I knew it would make much more sense to buy a refurbished laptop as well, rather than a new one.
I was so happy with the laptop that a few months later I decided to get another laptop so that my 10-year-old daughter could have her own for homework and games. It had been getting difficult to share my computer with her (and keep up with my blogging!) so we went to Device Pitstop of Maple Grove again and found a nice Mac for only $200. We haven’t used a Mac before, but my daughter really liked it, it was easy for her to use and it worked great, so we happily brought it home.
The laptop immediately was a hit with my daughter. She now had her own computer to do her homework on, I had my computer back to myself (yay!), and I knew I saved a lot of money not buying a new, comparable laptop. (And because we have Xfinity at home, I am easily able to control my kids’ screen time, which I wrote about last year.)
A few days later, my daughter was on her laptop at the kitchen table. My 7-year-old son wanted to be like his big sister, so I let him use my Lenovo laptop to play some games with her. A few minutes later, I heard crying and discovered that my son accidentally spilled chocolate milk on my laptop! It was all over the keys, seeping into the computer. Ugh! I was so upset!!! I immediately cleaned it up, turned it off, and turned it upside down to drain as much out as I could. I then left it like that until I could figure out what to do.
Thankfully, Device Pitstop also repairs and cleans devices, so I contacted them. They said to keep it turned off and bring it in as soon as I could. I did, but they said because it was spilled on by a liquid other than water, that made it less likely for it to be saved. They were willing to try though, so I left it with them for a few days. Seth, one of their team members, said they cleaned it out thoroughly twice, taking it apart and soaking the parts in their cleaning solution. They did all they could, but the chocolate milk had gotten deep into the computer and had done too much damage, so they couldn’t save it.
However, I was ok with this. I know if the team at Device Pitstop couldn’t save my computer, no one could. I didn’t have data on the laptop – though if I did they could have saved and transferred it for me. But more importantly, I was just glad that I had gotten the computer used and for less money in the first place! If this had happened to a new laptop, I would have been so much more upset.
On a previous visit, I talked to Paul, one of their team members, who mentioned that one of the reasons that Device Pitstop is so ideal for families is that many parents prefer used and refurbished vs. new when it comes to their kids. Buying used and refurbished is the best, most frugal way to go, especially with young kids. The device will work just as well as new, but will cost less, and you won’t be as upset if it gets damaged or lost. How ironic that I just talked about this in a recent post, and now it happened to me!
8 Reasons to Buy Your Laptops at Device Pitstop of Maple Grove or Minnetonka
Right now I’m looking to replace my damaged laptop by buying a new one at Device Pitstop, when they have one that I’m looking for, which I know won’t take long. But in the meantime, let me share 8 reasons to buy your laptops at Device Pitstop of Maple Grove or Device Pitstop of Minnetonka!
- KIDS. Kids and computers don’t always mix well, as my experience proved. It’s always safer (and more affordable) to purchase something used, affordable and in good quality, rather than new.
- Quality. Most of the computers they sell were purchased from their customers, so often they will know the owner and history of the machine. And their entire laptop inventory is tested and audited through an in-house DPS Certification process.
- Price. Buying used and refurbished electronics means you’ll pay less than if they were new. Most of their computers are 50-75% the cost of new.
- Variety. They sell all varieties of brands from Apple to Toshiba. They know the brands and features well too so they can help you find a computer that fits your needs.
- Guarantee. Any laptop or MacBook that you purchase at Device Pitstop is backed up by their 90 Day guarantee. They also offer extended service plans.
- They offer FREE set-up and tutorial on your new laptop. They helped me get acquainted my laptops when I bought them, answered all my questions, and made sure it was ready for me to use.
- Their team is knowledgeable and helpful! As my experience has proven, these guys know devices, and they want you to be happy while saving money.
- One-stop shop. Not only does Device Pitstop sell devices, they buy and repair them too! So you can sell your devices and bring them in for repairs, knowing you’re getting great service and for less than elsewhere.
Of course, they also sell, buy and repair other devices too, including Smartphones, desktop computers, tablets and much more. Visit their website for more information and check out their awesome reviews on Facebook!
Soooo…if one of your kids spills chocolate milk or anything else on their or your laptop like mine did, the cost is $100-150 to have it cleaned out at Device Pitstop. Repairs for components may cost extra. If they can’t bring it back to life though, cost will be $0-75, depending on each case. Because of my experience though, you may want to just replace your laptop rather than repair it, but either way the team at Device Pitstop can help you out.
(And yes, we have a no-beverages-near-any-devices rule at our house now!)
Device Pitstop Maple Grove
13732 83rd Way N
Maple Grove, MN 55369
Device Pitstop Minnetonka
13023 Ridgedale Drive
Minnetonka, Minnesota 55305
(In the Ridge Square North Shopping Center, near New Uses)
To save even MORE on your device needs, be sure to use my EXCLUSIVE coupon at Device Pitstop of Maple Grove and Device Pitstop of Minnetonka!
Save 15% off any service, 10% off any accessory or get a FREE charging cable at the Maple Grove location! No expiration. Click on the image below to open the coupon in a new window and print or show on your phone!!!
(Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Device Pitstop of Maple Grove. However, all opinions are 100% mine, and though I’m annoyed that my son ruined my laptop, I appreciate his giving me an experience to write about!)