My parents experienced a housefire last year, and they couldn’t live in the house for almost a year while it was repaired. It was devastating to them and they lost thousands of dollars’ worth of possessions. Thankfully no one was hurt, and it could have been a lot worse, but it affected their lives significantly.
As a result, I know firsthand that fire damage can be one of the worst things that you deal with. It damages your home and can be extremely costly to you, and you can also see your insurance costs soar. It’s better if you can manage to avoid this costly damage entirely. So, take these tips of fire safety as more than just ways to avoid severe damage to your home but as money-saving tips as well.
Frequently Test Smoke Alarms
Smoke and fire damage in your home will easily reach $4,172 to fix. That’s an expense that many people can’t cover, and it’s an expense that absolutely no one wants to cover. So, make sure to frequently test your smoke alarms. These will alert you at the first sign of a major issue, helping to keep damage to a minimum and potentially protecting you and your family’s safety.
Use Caution with Fireplaces and Grills
Fireplaces and grills are two appliances that families tend to love and use often, and they become communal parts of the home, too. This means that you need to make sure that your fireplace is in working order and is well-cleaned before use. It’s also important to clean your grill. After all, grease build-up can cause fires. Where you place the grill is also important, as you’re dealing with live flames. In the case of both the fireplace and the grill, it’s important to be aware of potentially flammable materials that come near to them. If something gets too close to a live flame, it could catch, spread, and cause expensive damage.
Keep Cords and Other Dangers Out of Reach From Small Children
Small children can be difficult to watch at every moment, which is why it’s so important to baby- or toddler-proof a house. After all, the average toddler can take 176 steps a minute. A key piece to getting your house ready for a toddler is by making sure that cords are out of their reach. A cord within their reach becomes dangerous in a number of different ways to them, as they can be shocked by it or even choke on it. This can be dangerous for your home, too, as damage to a cord can become its own fire hazard. So, make sure that cords, along with anything else that could harm a toddler or your home, are outside of their reach.
Don’t Leave Kitchen Appliances Unattended
Kitchen appliances are one of the most common ways that fires get started in the home. From your stove to a toaster oven, the heat that these appliances generate can cause fires, especially if they come in close contact with chemicals or cloth. Gas stoves are particularly dangerous when it comes to starting fires because they use flames to cook. So, make sure that any appliance you use is always attended to. In particular, make sure that the appliances that you plug in are unplugged when not in use and have functioning cords. These appliances, if something were to go wrong, could create enough damage that your entire kitchen could need to be replaced from smoke alone.
Regularly Clean Heat-Based Appliances
One of the most important things to do when it comes to appliances is to make sure you clean them regularly. This will help lower the chance of fires. This will keep old food from becoming burnt and becoming dangerous. In fact, manufacturers even suggest cleaning your heat exchangers at least every five years. If you don’t take care of your appliances, they can become dangerous. So, take care of them and make sure that you avoid costly damage that could hurt you or damage or your home.
By following these tips, you can prevent a fire in your home as well as avoid expensive fire and smoke damage that can ruin your home and everything in it. Take precautions with your children as well as your appliances and smoke alarms. This way, you can be confident in your home’s safety.