Moms and coffee…we do love our morning brew, don’t we?
I love my coffee, made frugally at home with some almond milk and sweetener like almond syrup or stevia. Personally, I like both coffee and tea, but recently I learned that there’s coffee you can actually brew like tea! It’s called Steeped Coffee, and it started as a successful kickstarter project in 2017.
How does it work? Steeped Coffee uses nitro sealed, single-serve steeped bags, plus renewable and compostable materials, which I thought was pretty cool. This way you don’t feel guilty using it or disposing of it afterward, which is an advantage over some other coffees.
I had a sample pack sent to my house to try out, and it came with 5 different brews:
- Sunrise Blend – Light Roast
- California Blend – Medium Roast
- Odyssey Blend – Dark Roast
- Driftwood Blend – French Roast
- Eventide Decaf
Each single-serve bag was bigger than I expected. They were probably 3-4 times as big as a tea bag, but came in attractive packaging.
I prefer dark roast, so I was most interested in trying the Odyssey Blend.
I actually brought the box of coffee samples to work with me, and my co-workers tried it with me.
We basically just poured some hot water over each bag in a mug, and steeped it for a few minutes. (We left the bags in for the pictures, though you can take them out.)
My co-workers and I thought that the coffee was surprisingly strong (we didn’t use a lot of water though). It tasted smooth, and we added sweeteners and creamers as we normally would. It actually did taste like normally brewed coffee.
Overall, we all agreed that we’ll still make coffee as we usually do in a coffee maker, but it’s worth buying the Steeped Coffee to make a cup of coffee easily, anywhere you are. It’s convenient because you don’t need a coffee maker to make it – just some hot water. So you could make it outside if you’re on a camping trip, or in a dorm room with at least a place to heat up some water. It makes a good gift for someone on-the-go, too.
There are lot of features of Steeped Coffee, including:
- 100% Specialty Coffee: quality coffee ethically sourced directly from farmers
- Nitro Sealed: removes oxygen, stopping the clock on freshly ground beans
- Ultrasonic Edges: no glue, staples, or wasted materials for max steeping
- Full Immersion Filter: non-GMO filters that regulate ideal water-in and maximum flavor-out
- Guilt-Free Packaging: made using plant-based renewable and compostable materials
- Micro Batching: roasted locally in small batches
- Precision Ground: consistent water-cooled grinding to the micron
- Pre-Portioned: consistent SCA recommended water-to-coffee ratios
- Just Add Water: single-serve convenience with no machines required
- Barista Approved: tested by multiple independent specialty coffee Q-graders for freshness, quality, and taste
Pricing is a little over $1.00 per serving for one-time purchases. For example, a 10 pack variety box is $15.00.
For subscriptions, the pricing is about $1.00 per serving. A 30-pack box each month is $30.00 (otherwise $39.00).
Therefore, the pricing is comparable to other single-serve coffee options, but a little more expensive than buying ground coffee.
For more information, visit their website.
(Disclosure: I was provided with a complimentary 10 pack box to facilitate this review. All opinions are 100% mine.)