“If Whole Foods Market and Trader Joe’s had a baby, we (Fresh Thyme) would be that baby.”
I recently received a tour of the NEW Fresh Thyme in Vadnais Heights. I love this place! Like other Fresh Thyme stores, including the Bloomington store that I previously reviewed, this store is like a farmer’s market, grocery store and natural food market all in one. Like I was told, it has the some features of the Whole Foods Market (meat department, bakery, salad bar, organic produce) and of Trader Joe’s (unique products, lower prices), so it’s like a hybrid of both.
Here’s what you can find at Fresh Thyme:
- Natural meat, raised without hormones
- Seafood flown in daily
- Hearty breads and delicious treats from local artisan bakeries and hot out of our ovens
- Healthy meals made in our kitchens which are ready to eat on the run
- Barrels full of natural and organic bulk foods
- Locally roasted organic coffee beans
- Aisles of nutritious and delicious groceries
- Earth-friendly cleaning supplies
- Specialty foods
- Gluten-free and dairy-free options
- Plus a whole department filled with vitamins, supplements and pure body care products.
The new Vadnais Heights location even has a liquor section. I also found some items I don’t see often elsewhere, like fresh, natural peanut butter (that’s also affordable!).
The store is bright and the natural food and health products section was HUGE. I fell in love with some J.A.S.O.N. cocoa butter lotion that was on sale, and was overwhelmed by all the good-for-you choices (that I know I should be using but need to learn more about). Thankfully, they have a free monthly publication you can pick up in store with health product information and tips.
Some of my favorite features of the store include:
- Bakery (I LOVE their Top of the Morning muffins – I ate 5 in a week!)
- Salad bar (great choices including soups)
- An Oil “bar” where you can fill up your own containers of cooking oils and liquids
- Familiar, otherwise-hard-to-find brands, like Izzy’s ice cream!
Be sure to have the kids look for the tractor in the store! It’s moved to a different location every week. Kids can tell the cashier where it is in the store to receive stickers and taffy.
Also, Fresh Thyme has a cool program for kids called Mission Nutrition where kids can learn about healthy foods and enter to win prizes!
Fresh Thyme has a weekly sale flyer with deep discounts. I’ve seen:
$.88 Raspberries (limit 5)
$1.97 Whole Seedless Watermelons
$.49 Green Onions, Radishes, or Carrots
$1.49 Organic Lettuce
plus many good prices on frozen, pantry and other items
Overall, the prices are very good in comparison to other grocery stores. You’ll find some unbeatable deals each week, worth stopping in for, though many of the regular prices are comparable to stores like Hy-Vee or Cub. For me, I won’t do all my grocery shopping here, but I’ll stop in when I can for their sale prices and other specialty items that I love (seriously, the bakery section is great).
Where to Find Fresh Thyme
There are several Fresh Thyme locations in the Twin Cities (with more to come!):
Coming soon: Farmington
Check them out!