They’re calling it their “Taste the Change” Day to celebrate 35 years and showcase better food, drinks and atmosphere at America’s largest casual dining restaurant. It’s taking place at nearly 2,000 restaurants across the country and they estimate giving away 2 million of these free sampler plates.
Who can get these free appetizers?
They’re free to dine-in guests all day on July 21st, with the option of adding other new appetizers at low sampler prices.
I spoke with Tom Linafelt, Senior Manager-Communications at DineEquity, Inc., who shared details about their new menu items and that the chain wants to maintain its great reputation as the bar & grill of choice for many families.
I was invited to a special media preview event this week to sample these appetizers and other menu items, both classic and new, and was impressed with everything I tried (though I’d definitely call a few my favorites!).
Here are the NEW menu items I tried (with my comments in red):
Featured July 21st
- Sriracha Shrimp – High-quality shrimp, fried with Applebee’s special coating, which provides a light, flaky crunch, then tossed in Sriracha Chile Lime sauce. The shrimp was a bit spicy but the right blend of sweet flavor (from the lime) and crunch.
- Churro S’mores – Twisted cinnamon churro twists, served with a warm marshmallow and chocolate dip. My FAVORITE. So warm, so gooey, sooo good.
New Menu Items available now
- Triple Hog Dare Ya – Stacked high with pulled pork, Black Forest ham and thick-sliced bacon, crispy onions and melted cheddar cheese on a Ciabatta bun. Very hearty and flavorful.
- Brew Pub Philly – Premium, Montreal-seasoned steak instead of traditional shredded meat; peppers, onions and jalapenos that are fried instead of sauteed; beer cheese sauce instead of typical processed cheese; and a grilled Ciabatta roll instead of a hoagie bun. Beer cheese sauce is served both on the sandwich and as a dipping sauce on the side. I didn’t have room left to try this one but it looked fantastic.
- Maple Bacon Chicken Piadini – Cedar-seasoned chicken, thick-sliced bacon, cheddar cheese and sweet-and-savory maple mustard in a unique Piadini wrap that is finished on the grill. – I really liked this one. It was a bit dry, so I’d order a dipping sauce or mayo to go with it.
- American Standard All-In Burger – Pickles, bacon and onion are seared into the fresh ground beef burger patty, which is then topped with American cheese and our signature sauce. PERFECT burger. Juicy, hearty, and tastes fresh off the grill.
New Beverages available in August
- Bourbon & Berries – Maker’s Mark bourbon, cranberry and lemon juice hand-shaken and garnished with a blackberry and lemon twist. Not my favorite – a bit strong for me, but a good bourbon for those like them.
- Blackberry Sangria – Cabernet, Cointreau, and lemonade hand-shaken with blackberries and garnished with an orange and lime. I liked this one. Sweet and not too strong.
- Blackberry Quencher Lemonade – a refreshing blend of blackberry and lemonade loaded with blackberries. Perfect for a hot summer day! Great for all ages. This was my favorite beverage. I enjoyed eating the blackberries as I drank the lemonade.
Visit your local Applebee’s anytime on July 21st for your free appetizer sampler and/or to try their other new menu items!