Right now you can get a Home Energy Squad visit in your home for only $35 from Star Tribune Steals. It’s a $70+ value and is only available this week, so I highly recommend taking advantage of this deal (especially as the colder weather starts creeping in!). Note: You have to be either:
- A residential electric customer of Xcel Energy and an Xcel Energy customer OR
- A residential electric customer of Xcel Energy and a CenterPoint Energy natural gas customer
I purchased this deal earlier this summer and had the Home Energy Squad come to our home in August. This was one of the best deals I’ve purchased because I know we got WAY more than $35 worth out of it. Here’s what you can expect:
There were 2 Energy Squad team members who came to our home. They spent about an hour and a half going through all the possible areas where we could use energy saving improvements.
1) They inspected our front and back doors. Then they added weatherstripping to both.
2) They insulated our water heater.
3) They replaced our digital thermostat with a programmable thermostat, and showed me how to use it.
4) They replaced our shower head with a high-efficiency showerhead, and replaced our kitchen and bathroom faucet aerators. These actually improved water flow (higher pressure) for both and are adjustable which I like.
5) They gave us a refrigerator thermostat.
6) They went throughout our home and replaced our light bulbs with CFL’s.
7) Finally, they looked at our attic insulation and discussed our best insulation options. They said our best, most effective option would be to insulate our attic. Because our house is older, wall insulation is likely all worn/crumbled away so our walls probably could use it too, but if we were to do anything, we should insulate our attic which has the biggest money-saving effect on our energy bills.
We also learned that replacing windows is not very effective in reducing energy bills – despite what the window companies say, unless your windows are in really bad shape, the amount of energy you save on replacing windows is so little that you’re better off just doing the insulation.
Overall, I learned so much about saving energy and feel they did such a thorough job that I highly recommend purchasing this deal to anyone who can use it. For only $35 you can’t go wrong!
(Note: I was NOT compensated in any way for sharing my experience. However, if you use the above link to purchase the deal you will be supporting this site at no cost to you. Thank you!)