This chocolate hazelnut muffins recipe that I came up with by varying a favorite chocolate muffin recipe and adding chopped hazelnuts. I buy and use a bag of “Oregon Hazelnuts” from Trader Joe’s, then chop them in a food processor.
Note: I used whole wheat flour in addition to all-purpose flour. You can use all-purpose flour but if you do, you’ll need less water and apple juice.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 T. apple cider vinegar (can use any vinegar)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Stir until well mixed.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients. Mix well.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix. Add the chocolate chips and 1/2 of chopped hazelnuts. Mix until blended but do not over-mix.
5. Pour into greased or paper-lined muffin tins. Sprinkle the tops with remaining hazelnuts.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 and bake for 13 minutes. (This helps form better peaks than just baking at 375 for the full 18 minutes.)
Share below if you tried our Chocolate Hazelnut Muffins Recipe and what you thought of it!