These indulgent Banana Chocolate Chip muffins make great use of those too-ripe bananas sitting in your kitchen! I got this recipe a while back from a friend, Kim.
I also included a better-for-you version (scroll to the bottom).
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe
1/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup wheat germ (optional)
1 tsp salt
1 cup mashed bananas
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 12-muffin pan.
2. Stir sour cream and baking soda together. Set aside.
3. Cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, beating well. Beat in sour cream mixture.
4. Stir in remaining ingredients. Do not over mix.
5. Spoon into greased wells of muffin pan and bake for about 18 minutes. Let cool before removing from pan.
I have to admit, I made these yesterday and they were so good I ate them for my dinner (I should add that to my list “Ten Reasons I Haven’t Yet Lost those 10 Extra Pregnancy Pounds“). But if you want a more health and waist-friendly version, here’s what you can do:
(Slightly) Better-for-you Variation: (pictured in this post)
1. Use light sour cream and/or butter. I use Daisy light sour cream (it’s all natural) and I Can’t Believe it’s Not Butter margarine.
2. Use 1/2 cup of sugar instead of 3/4 cup.
3. Use 1 cup of all-purpose flour + 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour. If you do this, add a little water or milk to the bananas to add moisture.
Let us know in the comments what you think of our Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins recipe!