Kids bored? Not sure what to do at home?
This list was written in response to the closing of schools during COVID, as my kids were clearly more bored at home during that time. But it’s clearly useful any time kids don’t know what to do when they’re home and have free time!
My 12-year-old daughter was telling me during COVID that she had nothing to do, even though she has many interests including drawing and reading. She also had been pestering me to buy tickets to a concert she wanted to see in the summer of 2020. So I made her a deal! Make a list of 100 things for kids to do when bored to help her keep busy and to share on my blog, and I’ll get her the tickets!
She got the tickets! Unfortunately, the concert was cancelled, but I worked out something else with her. Regardless – she created her own list of many things to do, and can be proud of inspiring other kids as well!
Here’s her list!
100 Things for Kids to Do at Home When Bored
- Read a book.
- Watch cartoons.
- Watch a movie.
- Draw a picture.
- Play instruments.
- Have a family study group.
- Play with a pet.
- Put a puzzle together.
- Go for a walk.
- Bike around the neighborhood.
- Put together some legos.
- Play a board game.
- Play Minecraft or another multi-player video game with family.
- Listen to an audiobook.
- Sew clothes or plushies.
- Write a song or poem.
- Watch a concert or play online.
- Have video calls with friends or family.
- Write a story.
- Make a comic.
- Have a contest.
- Make a cartoon.
- Make a flipbook.
- Learn a new language.
- Learn about the human body.
- Study for a future job.
- Write a script for a movie or play.
- Put together or take apart a computer.
- Go shopping online.
- Have a fancy dinner at home.
- Start a funny YouTube channel.
- Do someone’s makeup.
- Fly a kite.
- Dress up as a favorite character.
- Have a karaoke night.
- Count to one thousand.
- Design your dream home.
- Learn about a culture.
- Write about your favorite story.
- Learn a new sport.
- Design a poster.
- Find the cause of rain.
- Create a diary or journal.
- Learn family history.
- Play in the rain.
- Name all the plants in your yard.
- Watch cartoons from different countries.
- Memorize all the states.
- Create a new shape.
- Make a doll house.
- Use an erasable marker and draw a tattoo.
- Count all your money.
- Design new shoes.
- Donate old items.
- Learn about your pet.
- Design a new toy.
- Make a puppet.
- Write about your day.
- Create a new word.
- Draw your family, friend or pet.
- Try a new food.
- Get ahead of your class.
- Wave to everyone in your neighborhood.
- Program a toy robot.
- Bake cookies.
- Help with meals.
- Get a haircut or style your hair at home.
- Learn how something is made.
- Go fishing.
- Study plants outside.
- Plant a garden.
- Make lemonade, apple juice, or orange juice.
- Create a cartoon character.
- Draw fan art.
- Get to know someone more on the phone.
- Learn how germs form.
- Organize your room.
- Pretend to have your future job.
- Learn an instrument.
- Donate to someone in need.
- Create a meme.
- Learn your favorite songs on an instrument.
- Finish watching a cartoon.
- Paint someone’s nails (or your own!).
- Change your hairstyle.
- Learn more math.
- Play a simulator game.
- Make something with playdough.
- List your favorite things.
- Wear your least favorite color for a day.
- Write a musical.
- Chew as much gum as you can.
- Read a different genre of books.
- Pick flowers.
- Help your parents with something (such as, do some chores).
- Take an online tour of something.
- Create a new candy.
- Have a photoshoot.
- Learn about your state.
What kinds of things would your kids add to this list?
Free Printable Version of this List!
Click here to view this list as a printable PDF!
For more fun for kids to do:
Make Homemade Playdough! This recipe has only 5 ingredients:
Print FREE Disney coloring pages and activity sheets!
I have a ton you can print and enjoy for free including:
Ralph Breaks the Internet
The One and Only Ivan
Make this Sloth Paper Craft!
Or make a leprechaun gnome paper craft!
Learn how to make homemade hot cocoa bombs!
Make homemade banana bread!
Or check out any of these guides:
For winter fun:
32 No Spend Family Winter Activities (Free Printable List!)
Print out my Free Winter Scavenger Hunt and explore the outdoors with your kids!
Get outdoors more with the 1000 Hours Outside Challenge!
You can get these 7 FREE printable Boredom Buster pages with 42 ideas:
AND a BONUS: Download my FREE 18-page, One Year Printable Planner & Calendar
You can print out 1 page or all 18 pages or whatever pages you like!
- Blank, Undated Calendar Pages
- Goal Tracker
- Class Schedule
- Weekly Planner
- Weekly Schedule
- Weekly Meal Planner
- Grocery List
- Recipe Worksheet
- Monthly Budget
- Daily Expense Tracker
- 52 Week Savings Plan
- AND SO MUCH MORE!
To get these printables, be sure you’re signed up for my FREE weekly email!
You’ll get the links to the FREE printables INSTANTLY, and you will be subscribed to my weekly email newsletter which so you can get MORE freebies, deals and fun! Your information will not be shared with anyone and you can unsubscribe anytime.
Get these and other FREEBIES INSTANTLY by signing up here!
(If you’re already on my email list, check your inbox!!!!)
Note: If you have any issues with accessing your free printables, email me at email@example.com.
Looking for more printables?
Visit my Free Printables page!
Pin this post: